20 June 2008

smiles

Today my mom suprised Lindsey and me by bringing Miss Betty over for lunch (which, for her, was ice cream). Miss Betty said every 5 or 10 minutes, as we sat and ate and smiled and looked at the bird feeder, "Don't you ever wonder why God made birds?" and "Now what do you girls want to study in school?" But she also said once, "Life is always fun. You just have to look at it from an angle. Y'all remember that."

I finished Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf today, and i think i'm going to like it better as i keep thinking about it. For some reason, one of the gladdest bits for me was when she compared a character to a harpy, and i knew what she was talking about from reading Dante in high school. I think Virginia Woolf is one of those authors who Goes There: using words to describe things that are not physically real, just a wild mental state. I feel funny about doing that in this blog, however slight my attempts are; i think i am afraid that you wouldn't be able to relate, and then think i was off my rocker. Woolf does it a lot, unabashedly, it seems, because maybe she was trying to be a relentless artist.

Sitting at the kitchen table today, i was looking up raw-food recipes and information, and i had a Sean Hayes station going on Pandora, and my hair was in pigtail braids, and i felt like a true person.

As i was waiting at a red light today, a car came up next to me with its windows down, blaring Bob Dylan with his piercing harmonica. I didn't look over, but i should have given him at least a thumbs up or something. Whenever i'm loudly listening to something classic with my windows down i always wonder if people recognize it.

1 comment:

Amber said...

One time I was in my mini-van at a very busy stoplight, and I had a bouquet of flowers at my nose, and I was smiling big and loving my alone-ness, and a horn honked. I looked over and it was a guy friend from church that definitely recognized what was going on inside me even if he hadn't shared the same gypsy desires to cover the view of traffic up with a bunch of daisies.

Even when our definition of self changes, I think people recognize and appreciate an articulation of our invisible selves. Isn't that art, after all?

Thanks for expressing so well what is beautiful about Ms. Virginia. It is scary to let things out when we aren't sure that we are the only one in the universe that feels a certain thing.

(That was an unclear sentence. Sorry. (I always want to say that over and over again.))

Isn't it cool to think of Jesus being an odd duck? If He is not un-able to sympathize, then He must have had His moments of happy bare-feet, wind in His hair, and a favorite street corner where this one guy He loved very much played a gorgeous guitar.